But when it looks thick, and tastes creamy that’s even better. Prepare to dip your bread, dunk your croutons, crumble your crackers.
But what about your New Year's weight loss resolution? Let's be honest, "lose weight" has to be on 90% of the lists made by intrepid souls each year. What if I told you that all this big bowl of goodness could be under 200 calories? Ah, now that would make a difference!
“But how can you make a “creamy” soup for less than 200 calories?” I hear you ask. Read on, my friend…
Chicken and Mushroom Soup ("Cream" of Mushroom)
- 2 pints water
- 2 Knorr chicken stock cubes
- 1 medium onion
- ½ lb mushrooms
- ½ lb skinless chicken breast
- ½ lb celery
- ¼ cauliflower
Seasoning suggestions; coriander, pepper, curry powder.
Cooking Instructions (pretty easy;-):
- Boil water, add stock cubes.
- Stir till dissolved.
- Add chopped onions, cauliflower and celery.
- Boil for 60 mins. (This is to mush the original ingredients, and negate the sharp tang of the celery) Be careful about the mix sticking to the bottom of pan.
- Liquidize this mix to almost a puree. (This is to mimic the ‘cream’ of mushroom idea. No actual cream here, but we have a thick stock base.)
- Add chopped chicken (preferably pre-cooked, leftovers, whatever) and chopped mushrooms. Boil gently for 60 mins.
This makes a nice “creamy” soup. The celery, onion, and cauliflower are basically calorie/carb free.
Recipe makes 4 bowls of soup, at less than 200 calories each bowl.
Weight Watchers, my wife did the calculations and tells me the soup is only 3 Points Plus per serving!
This recipe was taken from the books below... both available at Amazon, and wherever good eBooks are sold.